Friday, May 10, 2013

Take a Back Road

Do you ever listen to a song and think that's what I want to do,  that's what I need today? That happens every time I listen to take a back road. I want to hop on the back of my husbands bike and get away, far away. No noise, no work, no cooking and cleaning, nothing going on,  just relaxing and watching the scenery go by. Problem is we both work full time, he is off on the week-ends and my job basically demands I work every Saturday and rotate Sundays. However every once in a while something catches my eye on the calendar and I do whatever it takes to get off. That happened when I saw the bluebonnet ride on the calendar.  Most rides he goes on involve riding across the state to get a burger or something of that sort, not exactly every woman's dream ride.


 More often than not the ones I get to go on are short distances on either highway or bumpy roads and it is almost always cold.  Don't get me wrong, I always have a great time it's just not usually your ideal riding conditions especially since my husbands bike doesn't have a back rest. A bluebonnet ride though, how could that be anything but perfect?

After overcoming the scheduling issue the next obstacle was the weather. Spring in Texas is a beautiful yet unpredictable season. Despite conflicting weather predictions all week this day turned out to be perfect. The morning was cold , bitter cold, but within a few hours it warmed up to the perfect temperature. The sun was shinning but not scorching hot, there was a light breeze but not so much wind that it made riding uncomfortable what more could I ask for.

On most rides I hang on for my life but this ride was a lot of back roads, just taking it easy and going slow. I was actually able to take pictures from the back of the bike which was something a few months ago I never would have imagined myself doing. The bluebonnets were blooming and animals were everywhere basking in the sun.  You can read more about the ride and watch a video here. Most of the pictures he has up are the ones taken by me from the back seat.

Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrush

How it should be for these creatures

Bluebonnet fields every where you looked


We ended the day with a stop at the Ennis Bluebonnet festival. They had a car show, arts and craft booths and lots of food. Instead of junk food we knew we would regret we ate roasted corn and then stopped at  a local Mexican restaurant for lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment